29 June 2013

Joseph's Post: Up, Up, and Away!!!!!!!

This morning, I went to the Front Range airport in Watkins, Colorado for one more day of space camp.  We waited in a room until our name was called. Then we went out and a pilot took us to his plane.
Before we got in the plane my mom took a picture of  me.
Then the pilot asked me questions about the parts of the plane. He asked about the elevator, rudder, and aileron. Those are parts of an airplane to make it fly, to turn, and to land.
Then we got to climb on into the small propeller plane. I got to choose if I wanted to ride in the back of the propeller plane or actually FLY it. I chose to fly the plane!

We had to wait our turn to take off at the runway. It felt like I was in a car that was going really fast on the highway that rolled onto a spring and then we bounced up when I was taking off. From up in the air I could see really far away. The things on the ground looked like toys. My pilot, Charlie, asked me if I wanted to fly the airplane. I said sure. I got to steer the plane and make it go up and down. I also got to talk to the tower with the big head phones I was wearing. It was awesome.
The landing was like I was a bird flying and suddenly hit a clear glass wall and fell straight down. It seemed a little smoother than taking off, but just different.
After landing, I got a logbook, and a certificate.
Today was an awesome day!

No comments: