19 October 2009

Fall Break is Here

Today was the first day of Fall Break. We decided to do lots of fun things. The weather was awesome so that made for lots of fun both outside & inside. It's also Monday. And at our house, Mondays have turned into "Muffin Tin Mondays." What are Muffin Tin Mondays you may ask? Well, I found this idea from someones blog "suggested" in Google Reader, Sandy, which she got from a lady named Michelle. And everyone knows how I love to use other peoples great ideas, so we gave it a go. What you do is serve your kids their meal in muffin tins. Since Andrew hardly eats anything at all (especially not on his own), I thought that maybe giving him his food in something more "fun" (muffin tins) would inspire him to eat more & feed himself. It's worked pretty well & as an added bonus, Lexie & Joseph really get a kick out of it & look forward to Mondays.

We also decided to make some warm apples. Lexie & Joseph were great peelers. I'm glad they like to help so much. And they sure were tasty!
Then, for Family Home Evening, we had a fun little activity (same one I did for my Activity Day girls last week). We told the kids that we were going to make ice cream sundaes. We got out a bowl of ice cream & asked who wanted toppings on it. Joseph was so excited & wanted his first. We then proceeded to put on toppings like ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, relish, shredded cheese, & ranch dressing. For some reason Joseph wasn't as excited to eat it anymore, although he started eating it anyway. Yuck, it grossed us out.

We then had a discussion about how those toppings were appropriate for other things (like salads, hamburgers, etc.) but they weren't good toppings for ice cream sundaes. We followed that by talking about how there are a lot of good things we can do during the week, but they aren't good activities for Sundays. After talking about good Sunday activities, we got out good sundae toppings and enjoyed a yummy treat.

Fall Break is certainly off to a good start. Now if we can just get everybody healthy...

4 comments:

jksfam said...

He started eating it?!? EW!!! The muffin tin idea is super-cute!

cheryl said...

Yeah, ick. He ate 4 bites. I wish I got a pic of his reactions to each bite. He really didn't care for it, he just kept eating it. Silly boy.

Mamabug said...

Love it! Both ideas are great. I think I will have to use those ideas. Maybe I could get my kids to eat good food?

Diana said...

Well, thanks to Michelle for Inspiring Sandy for inspiring you for inspiring me! Although, Michael eats okay now. Maybe in the future.

However, the ice cream idea is FANTASTIC and I plan on using it in YW sometimes.