There I was just playing Mancala with Lexie & Joseph, Andrew was asleep, & Rick was reading the newspaper. I looked up & saw this white streak behind my neighbor's house. I took a second look & realized that it was a tornado. We hurried the kids down to the basement & I ran out to the front porch. Rick grabbed the camera & here is what we took. It's really long, so don't feel like you need to watch it all. This video is after the tornado started diminishing. It did touch down over by Southlands Mall by our house & the news said it was on the ground for 30 minutes, but I'm not sure about that. We saw it for about 15. We're sorry we didn't grab the camera faster & get some better shots.
We got a lot of hail. These are pictures about 20 minutes after it stopped hailing so most of it had already melted. Thankfully, the extent of our damage is that all of our pretty flower blossoms are gone. Buildings were damaged as close as a mile from our house.
Lexie & Joseph said many prayers while they were in the basement for our safety & we are grateful that all of our prayers were answered. We're also glad we had a shortened Church schedule today-or else we would have missed all of the fun!
You can check out this link for more videos about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
you call that a tornado, I've seen bigger funnels when the water drains from the bathtub
-Matthew
just kidding- that was awesome!!! now that you have one on tape, next time get to the basement like you have been taught your whole life.
mindy & Janae
Thanks for posting!
Very good advice from your sisters. Your mother seconds that.
Great footage of the tornado hitting our house.:) Luckily, it looks like the actual path didn't hit our house directly. Had you been closer you could actually see all of the tramps and swing sets flying around in the funnel. We're fortunate the damage is minor.
I'm so glad you got footage on it! Despite what Janae and Mindy say. :) Tornados are pretty cool-when they are far enough away. I'm glad you're alright.
How big was your hail? Our news said it was as big as baseballs? Was this news exaggerations, or reals?
I know, go to the basement. And we were going to, but it was just so cool. The hail was between 2-3" in diameter. Yeah, this really took an interesting path. It was so strange to have that landspout of debris right here by Lexie's school at the end over here while over on the south part of our ward (and old ward) were hit with wind/tornado, too (that is when on the video it looks like it's going to come down again-you can see the landspout of debris here by our house, but then the stronger part of the tornado further south). It was pretty cool. Hopefully, that is the closest we ever come to a tornado again.
It really was unbelievable wasn't it?! Great footage. I agree. That was great for my lifetime.
That video is crazy! We were out of town and came home to all this! What an exciting day! First a new ward was formed and then this! A Sunday to remember!
We are so glad everyone is okay! We have a mess to clean up around our neighborhood, but sounds like everyone was fine! Thanks for the great footage...I will have to have my family watch it! They saw it on the Today Show today and freaked out!
You are a crazy chica. I am glad your kids still have their parents. Uh ... if you haven't maybe you should consider figuring out who would get your kids ... just in case.
Mamabug, I guess your husband never told you...
Post a Comment