20 May 2009

A Hard Bargain

Lexie came home from school & wanted me to look in her backpack right away. She had a note about an upcoming field trip. As we excitedly looked at the form she asked, "Do I have enough monies to go?" And that got me thinking that rather than just paying for it, maybe the field trip would be more meaningful for her if she had to do something for the money. So we came up with the idea that for each book she reads she gets a dime towards her field trip.

She has loved this goal & has been attacking books all week to pay for her field trip. She's always enjoyed reading, but now she is more conscientious about stopping to read throughout the day. Hopefully this doesn't backfire & make her feel like reading is a chore. (Are we mean parents for doing this?)

6 comments:

Willie said...

No, I think kids should work for their money.

Diana said...

Well, I agree with MidSpeck, but I also think that this was a very creative way to get her excited for the field trip! I definitely think I'll be using this idea

tifnyb said...

No you are NOT bad parents. I believe there are too many people that don't know the value of work and that's is what we as parents teach our kids. Kids have to work for the things they want and I liked your idea with the books.

holly b said...

I think that's a great idea, and it sounds like she likes reading anyway so for her it's probably win-win! Until she figures out that other kids are just given money that is.... : )

Mamabug said...

Great idea. I like it.

Karen said...

Cheryl, if you're a mean mom than I think that probably the authorities are on their way to get me right now...