I was going through pictures & organizing them for the last few months & saw these & decided I should record them somewhere. It may be kind of long, sorry. So, this is way back from August 4th. We were at my parents house & it was time for the kids to go to bed. Instead of going downstairs to get ready Lexie laid in Grandpa's chair & said she wanted to sleep there because she loves it & him & loves it when he reads her stories there. Joseph of course came over and wanted to sleep in the blue chair. Lexie pulled out her magna doodle & drew a picture for Grandpa on it & then started to sing an "I love my Grandpa" song. It was really cute. So, we sang that for her bedtime song but the the kids decided they really wanted to go see Grandpa to show him the pictures to help him feel better & sing for him. So, off we went to the hospital. In the car I told them that there were some parts of Grandpa that weren't working so well right now. But his ears do; they could hear everything they had to say; & his brain so he could understand everything he heard; & his heart could feel all the love we have for him & that it could give all the love he has for them. (They got really excited about this because he had some heart trouble a few months before.) Once we got to the hospital Lexie didn't want to sing anymore, but Joseph sang for her. It was cute! He sang, "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-hit it band. I love my Grandpa..." Then they showed him the different pictures they drew for him on the magna doodle. This is one picture.
On the way home we talked about the experience. I said something like, "Grandpa could hear everything you two had to say." Lexie replied, "Yes, his ears were working very well. Also his heart was working very well. I could feel it!" A little later I said "I'm so glad you wanted to go see Grandpa tonight. It makes me feel so happy inside." Then Lexie said, "Me too. I think I am the saddest about Grandpa. I really love him. And I love it when he reads stories to me." We got back to the house and the kids climbed into Grandpa's chairs and fell right to sleep.

5 comments:
What a sweet sweet story. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. It seems like the kids have great memories of him and they will always have him in their hearts. I'm glad we could get in touch again. I love blogging! It's the best! :)
I'm sobbing right now... I'm so glad they got the chance to spend some time with him and that you were able to help them understand in such a wonderful way. You are a wonderful parent. You probably learned that from you Dad.
Was this before or after Joseph fell off the chair? You have great kids. I loved hearing their song.
That was before Joseph fell off (the first time).
Good memory to record for the kids. It will be easier for them to remember this experience when it has been talked about and recorded. Cool. Great pictures too.
Post a Comment